Home > Guidance > Guidance on Examination
Overseas Korean & TOPIK Team of National Institute for International Education (NIIED) makes announcements of requirements for examinees through its website and examination identification slip, etc. Examinees who fail to meet those requirements will face disadvantages such as the invalidation of concerned examination results or two-year disqualification from examination, etc., as specified in Article 7 of the TOPIK(Test of Proficiency in Korean) regulation on handling the cheaters. Therefore, examinees are required to check the announcements and various notices posted on the bulletin of website in relation to concerned examination.
Entry time and examination venue
For TOPIK I, candidates shall enter the examination venue by 09:20AM(the entry is prohibited after 09:20AM).
For TOPIK II, candidates shall enter the examination venue by 12:20PM(the entry is prohibited after 12:20PM).
Guidance on the process of examination (The examination schedule below may be different from the actual schedule, depending on the situation of examination venue on the day of examination. )
* Schedule for TOPIK I (in the morning)
|~ 09:20||Entry into examination venue||The entry is prohibited after 09:20AM.|
|09:20 ~ 09:50 (30 minutes)||Guidance on marking OMR answer sheet & examinee identification||Collecting the mobile phones|
|09:50 ~ 10:00 (10 minutes)||Distribution of question papers and broadcasting for listening test|
|10:00 ~ 10:40 (40 minutes)||Listening test|
|10:40 ~ 11:40 (60 minutes)||Reading test||2nd examinee identification: To be conducted after the listening test in order to prevent cheating|
* Schedule for TOPIK II (in the afternoon)
|~ 12:20||Entry into examination venue||The entry is prohibited after 12:20PM.|
|12:20 ~ 12:50 (30 minutes)||Guidance on marking OMR answer sheet & examinee identification||Collecting the mobile phones|
|12:50 ~ 13:00 (10 minutes)||Distribution of question papers and broadcasting for listening test|
|13:00 ~ 14:00 (60 minutes)||Listening test|
|14:00 ~ 14:50 (50 minutes)||Writing test||2nd examinee identification: To be conducted after the listening test in order to prevent cheating|
|14:50 ~ 15:10 (20 minutes)||Break|
|15:10 ~ 15:20 (10 minutes)||Guidance on completing the answer sheet & examinee identification|
|15:20 ~ 16:30 (70 minutes)||Reading test||2nd examinee identification: To be conducted after the listening test in order to prevent cheating|
※ TOPIK I is conducted only during the 1st slot.
※ Examinees are required to enter the examination venue within the entry time. After the entry time, no entry is allowed.
※ Examinees are solely responsible for any disadvantages arising from the delay in entry.
- On the examination day, candidates are required to take their designated seats in examination venue at least 40 minutes before the start commence of examination and follow the instruction of proctor. No entry is allowed from 40 minutes prior to the start commence of examination. (Also, candidates are not allowed to sit for examination at other regions or venues.)
- Candidates who applied for refund during the refunding period is not allowed to take examination, whether the refund has been approved or not, and will have the examination results invalid if he/she takes examination.
- Candidates should place the ID card and identification slip on the upper left side of desk during the examination.
- Candidates are solely responsible for time management during the examination and should complete the answer sheet within the time limit.
- Candidates are not allowed to leave the room during the examination. In case of inevitable circumstances, they may leave the room quietly without disrupting other candidates with the consent of proctor.
- In case that examinees unavoidably went into the hall to use toilet for reason of disease during the examination, they are required to cooperate with the hall proctor for the checking process to prevent cheating on examination.(If candidates inevitably need to go to the washroom for health reasons, they are required to cooperate with the proctor in prevention of cheating or other misbehavior.)
- Candidates of TOPIKⅡ will be disqualified if they do not sit for the examination in any of the 2 slots..
- Candidates are not allowed to eat food or make noise during the examination.
- Smoking is prohibited in the examination venue, and one should be cautious not to damage the facilities.
- Candidates failed to follow instructions or caught for cheating, will be stopped or disqualified from the examination. The examination result will be invalid or cancelled, they may also face revocation of the notice of examination or be suspended from taking the examination for the next two(2) years.
- Candidates shall carry the examination identification slip and the specified ID card(certificate of alien registration, passport, driver’s license, etc.) for identification. Examinee without ID card is not allowed to take examination.
- Student’s ID, certificate, etc., cannot substitute the ID card. The photocopy of the specified ID cards will not be accepted as ID card.
- Candidates taking examination in Korea can print out the examination identification slip from TOPIK website during the slip printout period. Examinee who lost the slip is required to report to the examination venue management head office, so that the slip can be issued again after identification process.
- Candidates shall fully cooperate with the proctor for the identification process. Otherwise, they may be considered as cheaters.
Items not allowed to be brought into examination venue
- Candidates who brought in prohibited item are required to submit them according to the instruction of proctor before the commence of first slot examination.
※ Candidates who do not submit them prior to the start of the first slot will be considered cheating.
< Item prohibited in the examination venue >
All electronic devices, such as mobile phone, digital camera, MP3, electronic dictionary, camera pen, electronic calculator, radio, mobile media player, watch with the functions other than displaying the time.
Marking on the OMR answer sheet
- Care should be taken to prevent the answer sheet from being damaged, stained or crumpled. Examinees may face disadvantage in case that there are scribbles or unnecessary marking on the answer sheet. The timing mark (■■■■) on the upper and lower side of answer sheet especially, should remained untouched.
- Score will not be given if the answer is written only on examination question paper but not on the answer sheet.
- For multiple choice questions, use the bold tip of the double sided marker. Choose only one correct answer for each question and shade "●" in the concerned number. The answer will be considered incorrect if the number is not fully shaded, or if two(2) answers are shaded for one single question. To change the answers for multiple choices questions, use the correction tape to cover and conceal the incorrect answer, then shade the new answer again.
- To answer short-answer questions, use the fine tip of the double sided marker to write down the answers in the designated column on the answer sheet. Scores will not be given if the answer is written out of the column. To make any changes for short answer questions, cross out the incorrect answer or use a correction tape. Candidates can raise their hands quietly to request for a correction tape.
- If the wrong answers were shaded on the OMR answer sheet, candidates are allowed to request for a new answer sheet. The answer sheet must be submitted even if it is not completed within the examination hour. Candidates are not allowed to make any changes on the answer sheet after the end of examination. The concerned examination results of the candidates may be invalidated if he/she does not follow the instructions given and continues to mark the answers even when the examination ends.
- Candidates are allowed to mark the answers using only the double-side marker given by the proctor before the commence of examination.
- Candidates are solely responsible for any problem caused due to failure to use the designated pen or follow the abovementioned requirements.
- When the bell rings as to signify the end of examination, candidates should put down the writing instrument, place the answer sheet on the right side and the examination question paper on the left side. They should also place both hands under the desk while waiting for further instructions given by the proctor.
- Candidates are not allowed to leave the examination venue without the instruction of proctor at the end of examination. Candidates should submit both examination paper and answer sheet.
Procedure of handling cheater during examination
- Cheaters shall be informed by the proctor of the fact that they committed cheating.
- Cheaters shall exit the examination venue with the guidance of proctor and wait at separate place until the concerned slot of examination ends.
- Cheaters are required to write a confession statement under the guidance of proctor.
- Cheaters will then leave the examination venue under the guidance of proctor after completing the procedures required.
- The answer sheet of the cheater shall be invalidated in whole for the concerned examination.
- For the misbehaviour, the concerned examination results shall be invalidated.
< Misbehaviour >
A. Peaking at other candidates' answer, or showing other candidates the answer sheets.
B. Continue to fill in the answer sheet even after the bell rang at the end of examination.
C. Refusal to comply with proctor's instruction, which is necessary for fair operation of examination.
D. Refusal to comply with proctor's request for candidates identification and search of personal belongings.
E. Bring in prohibited items into the examination venue and fail to submit them prior to the commence of first slot examination.
F. Possessing items other than those being permitted during examination hour, or keep prohibited items at places other than those being allowed by proctor.
- Candidates caught with intentional cheating will be punished as follows:
- The concerned examination results will be invalidated.
- The candidates caught committing intentional cheating will be suspended from taking examination in the next two years after the announcement of concerned examination.
- Police investigation shall be requested for the malicious cheaters who take the examination for others, etc.
- Notice will be provided to the concerned institution(school, etc.) of cheater, informing that the concerned examinee was caught cheating on the examination.
< Premeditated & intentional cheating >
A. Looking at prohibited portable items or using the wireless devices, etc.
B. Signaling other examinees by exchanging message, hand motions, etc.
C. Using violence to threaten other examinees, or forcing them to show the answer sheets
D. Hiring proxy to take the test instead, or taking the examination for others
1) Taking the examination by falsifying the application form
2) Taking the examination by proxy by including his/her personal information in the application form while attaching the photo of the proxy
3) Filling out the application form by himself/herself while the proxy takes examination instead
4) Falsifying the ID card to take the examination for others
E. Cheating by using mobile phone
1) Failing to follow proctor'sinstruction by transmitting and receiving the text message and carrying mobile phone
2) Carrying mobile phone to receive answers by all means, for example texting in the washroom, receive answers and filling in the answer again after coming out from the washroom.
3) Several people colluding to resolve the problems of different sections and transmit the answers to prearranged outsider(friends who do not take the examination, upper-class mate/senior student, family members, etc.) who then collects and re-transmits the answers via text messaging device
4) Using wireless headphones to receive answers secretly.
5) Using phone camera to snap other candidates' answer sheets or show his/her answer sheet to other candidates.
F. Using small radio or similar devices to tell answers systematically
- Candidates who fail to identify themselves are required to fill in identification document, and they have to later on present valid identification documents for themselves within three days after taking the examination. The result will be considered invalid without any refund if they fail to do so.
- No score report will be issued to those who missed examination, unidentified persons(those who have not submitted ID cards within the time limit after preparing the unidentified person confirmation), cheaters, etc. (No score report will be issued to those who fail to present themselves during exam, those who fail to present valid identification document within three days, those who cheat etc.)
- From 2012, the validity period of TOPIK score report will be 2 years after the examination results announcement date.
Attachments : 답안작성방법.pdf
Completion of answer sheet
Examinees shall be solely responsible for errors in answer sheet which is caused by use of wrong writing instrument and incomplete marking.
Method of writing down the examinee information on the answer sheet